Thursday, August 12, 2010

NYers: Have You Lost Your Minds?

I'm writing as a NY native who watched the World Trade Centers being built, and then watched in horror as they fell to a terrorist attack. Losing those buildings meant something different to me- yes, I mourned the loss of the people inside. Yes, I know people who were in the buildings when they were hit. Yes, I was outraged by the entire attack. But there was something more personal to me. When I was a kid, we would take our houseboat up the Hudson River and watch the construction of the towers. Watching those buildings going up defined a part of my childhood. They were a part of my personal history. When they were destroyed, it destroyed a piece of me.

I heard today that Gov. Patterson is joining Mayor Bloomberg in support of building an Islamic mosque and center in a location just 200 yards from the site of ground zero. They blather endlessly about reconciliation and forgiveness, and not to tar all of Islam. Gentlemen- Have You Lost Your Minds? A mosque, a representation of Islam, does not belong anywhere near ground zero. Have you noticed that mosques are always built in areas of conquest? Please don't make ground zero a triumph of Islamic conquest!

No comments:

Post a Comment