Thursday, October 25, 2012

More catching up to do...

I just read the last posts that I wrote in December and January and then abruptly...nothing, so for the curious, here's an update.

My ankle is okay. It doesn't swell nearly as much as it used to before the fusion, but I'm not 100% pain free, either. The joint still gets tired and achy by the end of the day. But on the plus side, I have been able to wear shoes that are NOT sneakers (don't get excited, the shoes have to have flat soles). I spent 6 weeks or so in physical therapy. I went back to work after 9 weeks, just me and my little knee scooter. It was a low-snow winter, thankfully, so the commute wasn't an issue. I didn't start walking until late March, and it took me quite awhile (May?) before I could walk without a crutch or cane. I would plateau and just when I thought I would never get well, I would advance in some ability or another. My scar in the front is a pain; it rubs on every shoe and sometimes hurts. I can feel all that hardware right under my skin and it feels icky. There is no better word for it. The fusion means that I can't go up on my toes, can't wear a boot that doesn't zip or lace, and have a really hard time swimming because I can't point my toe. Who knew?

We went to Longboat Key, FL in August for vacation and i found that walking in the sand is very difficult, as is maintaining my balance in rough waters. For those of you who say the Gulf of Mexico is smooth as a bathtub? You obviously have not been on the Gulf during tropical storm/hurricane season.

Oh yuck. I just saw my first Christmas shopping commercial on TV. What's the date? October 25th. Two months away. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment